Sleep Light

"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
 Her children arise up, and call her blessed"- Pro. 31:27-28


It was close to 2am. I called for mom. Who else under heaven would I call?
The phone rang just a few times before she picked up, sounding not a bit disturbed. "Mommy, can you pray with me?" She didn't answer. She started praying.
I wasn't a little girl in my room at my parent's house any longer, still she was there to call on.

Not a night goes by that I do not hear the word mommy, or mom, sounding into my ear canal. Even without a newborn, nights do not render me off-the-clock.

Parents in general do not punch in and punch out, on their parenting roles. Mothers in particular, however are on duty in title, and, in doing. Typically while Daddy snores away, moms  are handling intermittent wakers, I-had-a-bad-dream-ers, bed wetters, and the one who decided they couldn't make it to the bathroom to throw up dinner.

I am amazed how easily waken I am. It is as if my unexpected late night visitor, was not unexpected at all.

Sleeping light is part of the skill set inherited when motherhood births you.

Mothers have to sleep light- without heaviness, without worry, and ideally without resentment.

Mothers are the sleep light- the beacon in the darkness, the calmer of fears, the one who makes the unclear clearer.


Close to 2am. A dream woke me. My heart was racing. Who else would I call? The one who possesses and defines the character of mother. The ultimate example of a perfect parent- Jesus, my sleep light.
Psalm 121
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
 2My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
 3He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
 4Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
 5The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.
 6The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
 7The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
 8The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Comments

Popular Posts