Cereal and Prayer

My four year old was talking on the phone this morning. She wanted a turn since I was hoarding all the phone fun to myself. She took the phone and said an expectant
"Hello?" Silence. "Uhhhh- ha!" "She doesn't wanna be bothered right now", looking over at me. I gave her a confused look ( where did that come from?).  I offered her a better response,"Say 'She's nursing the baby right now'." I Assumed she was trying to say I was busy. Pause.
"She's doing laundry."  "Uh-huh. We ate cereal, and then we had prayer." She kept talking, making herself comfy on a pillow that fell to the floor.

I was still stuck on her saying of the word prayer. It stuck out to me because, to her, it didn't stick out. It was in the same line as cereal. We ate, because we eat. We prayed (And our "prayer time" is incorporated with singing, dancing, playing instruments, and exhortation from the Word), because we pray.  It wasn't the odd  thing out.

And then I think of how she loves to carry her tiny New Testament Bible around with her. To the doctor's office, the supermarket, the neighbor's house- she has her bible. She just likes to carry it- that and her pink bag full of tiny entertainment. It' one of the must haves, right by the half clothed Barbie doll.

My prayer is that we strive to exemplify worship as a daily living rather than a dutiful task.
It must be more than a front for the assembly, but an intricate part of who we are, as sons and daughters of the King.
(semi) attentively at church


Deuteronomy 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.


Psalm 34:11 Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

Comments

  1. GIRL! It's not EVERYDAY that you get to read not ONE, but TWO posts on cereal and God! LOVE it!! What an incredible gift your comment was at ICDevos...thank you for reminding me once again that HE is faithful in ALL...big and small. What a blessing it's been stopping by and "meetin" you!
    peace and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND as I was just about to leave...I noticed your header...if you head over to MY blog...http://www.allyouhavetogive.com you'll see that it's called "all you have to give" and the tag is "and the things of earth will grow strangely dim by the light of His glory and grace..." Coinsidence?? nah...just God! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori- I love it! I heard someone say that a coincidence is just God choosing to remain anonymous ( though we know his glory is boldly declared in all he does). Even so, I totally agree- just God : ) God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Chantel! A wonderful post - love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings to you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts