The Strength in Quietness

Lately I have been given many opportunities to practice quiet humility.

Some backstory: I've only recently been growing out of  "people-pleaser" status. I must say it has been challenging, yet liberating. I am learning how to speak up when I do  not agree with something, rather than go with the flow, and being ( let's be frank) dishonest about my views just to avoid confrontation.
Well in this process I have become more willing to be what some may consider opinionated. I still have my former tendencies however, so I do offer my opinions rather gently, yet -hopefully- firmly enough to not be dismissed.

In light of this my husband has gotten to be the honored recipient of my new found voice, and it has been great for our growth in the area of communication. He understands me more, and I am not relying on him to read my facial cues or my mind. I say it. He loves it. It's done wonders for us.
Of course this new empowerment can fly off the handles if allowed, and it takes an intentional effort to obey the voice that says it's best to be quiet in this moment, rather than respond with what, to me, sounds good and gentle, yet can light a fuse all the same.

For example the other morning it seems Mr. D had a bit of a rough start. I was in the kitchen taking care of breakfast for the children and wrangling them up for school when he walked in with a concern. The concern was very valid. We were set to pick up rental equipment for an upcoming event and some things seemed unclear about the pick up. The issue, however,  was brought up in a way that caused me to want to defend myself. I took it as criticism to my ability to handle the situation. I felt like I was being questioned as to why this would be an issue this late in the game. My concerned husband then asked me to be sure I call the business that day and resolve any complications that could arise preventing a smooth pick up. I knew that  I was already aware of the issue and had been in contact with the business about it. I was ready to make it known that I am handling it and I'd appreciate if you get off my case ( well that part I'd say in my mind) but the Spirit put up a stop sign. I was keenly aware that though this was the present upset, this was merely a drop in the bucket of  a hundred other worries. Something was bothering him and this just happened to get the attention. So, the entire time he spoke I repeated one word in my mind- humility humility humility...

I knew that even though I had a leg to stand on, it was not the right timing to get into a " I've taken care of it" mantra. It just wasn't the time. It took loads of humility to stand there and feel like I was being criticized for dropping the ball. Notice I said feel like. My perception of his approach was just that- perception. I felt the Spirit show me that he was being justly concerned about the details of a very important matter. It may have translated to me as an offense, but because I was quiet- the Spirit could speak to me.

With the Spirit's help I affirmed that I would make the phone calls to confirm any missing details. I knew deep down it wouldn't hurt to have extra assurance.
It took a lot for me to remain quiet and not jump to my own defense, and my quietness allowed God to work. He worked in me. He also worked in my husband who shortly after apologized for being so worked up about it all. Then he was able to share the real issue, confirming what the Spirit spoke to me earlier.

A small matter could have turned into a large unnecessary confrontation if  I walked in the loudness of pride rather than the quietness of a humble spirit. 
Humility vs pride
from thepublicchurch.org

Humility and submission are what I am focusing on these days, and it seems I am being given more opportunities than I'd normally care for, to practice them both.
 But I feel something transforming in my heart. Submission and humility toward others is unearthing pride I thought I overcame, and unveiling a level of compassion and appreciation I thought I already had. I am amazed at the depths of love and compassion that I really have not even touched. My heart is overwhelmed by the small taste of the deeper level of love that submission reveals.
Praise God for the strong work of gentle quietness!

May God grant you and I grace as we walk in grace and the strength of meekness and humility today.
-Chantel
Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.- 1 Peter 3:1-4 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts