All I have needed

Thursday 5/19

The day didn't go as planned.
 But...it hardly ever does.
What a difference experience and maturity makes.
 If this were years earlier I would probably have fell against a wall, shrunk to the floor, and cried, "Lord why us?? why??"
This day however when my husband called to ask how I was doing, my response surprised me. "Happy" I told him.
 I felt joyful. Honestly. I felt peace and hope.
 I know it was the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God at work enabling me to "Count it all joy" in this fiery trial.

The Back Story

Wed. 5/11

 We had a few random things in the house that could be creatively manipulated to make meals. I just had to buy a few things to supplement. With the amount we had left I was able to go to my favorite store (Aldi's) and get a few things that could hopefully get us through the rest of the week. I prayed and purchased in faith the best food items to help stretch what we did have. I was thankful for the sale on some chicken that I knew was not a coincidence. It was rather a God-incidence.
I spent $76.It was more than I wanted, but I knew I spent what I needed to spend. In fact it was the "Worry Wanda" in me in the first place that wanted to spend way less. But it was the "Wise Woman" in me that knew spending this now was necessary. I felt faith and confidence in the Lord knowing that he would take care of anything else I wanted to hold on to the money for. The Spirit of the Lord was prompting me to trust him, and a peace waved over me that put a smile on my face and a pep in my step as I sauntered to the car with  bags of food for my family of eight.

Thursday 5/12

I had to bite the bullet. We needed to buy dish liquid. We had used all the "alternative" soap in the house by this time. Dishes sitting overnight in the sink? Not on Dad's watch. To the Dollar General I went for a bottle of DG brand soap. I splurged and got two. We needed it. I ended up going ahead and getting a few ingredients I passed over at Aldi's to save money and laughed. I ended up having to still get it the next day. I breathed. $15 spent. Boy does money add up fast. Trust me, the Spirit said. I exhaled the worry and inhaled the peace. God's got this.

Friday 5/13

I was at a cross road. I went early that morning to the gas station to get gas for the lawn mower we borrowed from our neighbor. Couldn't return it empty. $13. Gas can was full and so was my heart. $10 more put a few gallons in my little car.  I had $141 left and now had to decide who wasn't getting paid. Not a good feeling when deep down you wanna pay everyone. The highest priority was too  far away  in terms of amount.  Still I felt inspired of my own volition to go ahead and dump all I can toward it anyway, though it'd barely make a dent. Yet a resistance in my spirit told me to wait. I grew a little anxious. Wait.

Saturday 5/14

I decided to go on an outing with the ladies at church. The day turned out to be spectacular. The sun shone, the air was warm, the breeze was light. We had an amazing time. I had a budget I was determined to stick to.  I started out wonderfully: $6 for  a fun 18 hole game of mini golf. Then $5 for a ride that transported me a back to childhood. I hadn't felt such bowled over, liberating delight in a long time. It was beyond worth it. It was time to grab a bite to eat at a great spot. I ordered, and before I realized it, my meal was being taken care of by someone else in the group. My heart was moved with thankfulness to the Lord. It could have been small to another, but to me it was a huge sign from the Lord. Trust me. He said. Yes Lord.  Hours later after a long day out and running errands, the family was hungry. Two of the girls had free pizza coupons for the honor roll. Yay! Two down, six to go. It was late and there'd be no cooking by this tired mama. Excuses, I know, yet, I went ahead and stopped at Wendy's. $18 later I returned home with food for one more night.


Sunday 5/15

I had a pack of the chicken I bought on Wednesday in the crock pot during Sunday service. It was going to have to stretch to feed the family. It was the last pack. Once service was over I wracked my brain trying to figure out what to make for sides. Anything I could think of required more effort than I could muster after such an energy-filled worship service.  We got in the car and my husband says we are being treated to lunch. Now all I really wanted to do was go home and crawl in the bed for a few hours, but I knew to complain would be to shut out this blessing. It could not be passed up. I silently thanked the Lord for hearing my heart. We ate with no effort from me or my pockets that afternoon. Only God.
Later that evening it turned out my husband needed $68 more dollars toward a bill he was taking care of.  Hesitantly I  obliged knowing this was the last of our funds. His paycheck barely covered everything since most of his check was committed to paying off an old debt, so there was nothing left. $34 was all we had left to last the entire week. I knew God was going to do something.

to be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts