The Art of Perfect Love Part 2

Truth hurts.

But it also frees.

I faced an ugly truth about myself the other day. What I call LOVE is not true, genuine, unconditional love. What I call LOVE is really, at face value, commitment, but not LOVE.

OUCH!

IT hit home further when I read this line from a prayer on  Darlene Schacht's Daily Marriage Prayer .

"Give us a good attitude, so that we don’t merely love for the sake of our vows, but for Your sake, Lord."- from Daily Marriage Prayer, May 25, 2015

Whoa! I suddenly realized I have been and in truth may still be guilty of  " love for the sake of vows" part. 

Double OUCH!

Love involves commitment, but commitment in itself is not LOVE. Love involves trust, but trust in itself is not LOVE. Love demands sacrifice, but sacrifice in itself is LOVE. Love requires service, but service by itself is not LOVE. I thought by doing these things I was showing love. I am forced to ask the painful question- do I really LOVE who I say I love?

The only way to truly love is to truly know LOVE Himself- GOD.

Here is a perfect description of what God is:


1 Corinthians 13:4-7New International Version (NIV)
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Or in other words:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7Living Bible (TLB)

Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy. It does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong. It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out. If you love someone, you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him.
Hmmm. 
The only way to be this to others is to know- diligently seek after- God. This is by the reading and studying of His Word about LOVE and involving our self in talking with him daily. We must then let this spiritual fruit grow in us. God plants the seed of this fruit in our hearts through his Word.
I'll end with this prayer.
Jesus,
You said we are not to be conformed to this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. The world has its notion on love and I am sorrowful that I may have allowed the world's definition of love  to dictate my own. I repent for falling into the trap of comparing myself with the world rather than the WORD. Please forgive me.  May  I  have an increased desire to surrender to you as you impart the seed of Love into my spirit. Help me to allow the fruit of love to grow. Empower me to  love as you called us to love, and not just in my own idea and in my own strength. I allow you to be my perfect example, in that while we were yet sinners, you loved me enough to die in my place.  I commit this to you, and am confident that the work you have begun in me will be performed until the day of the Lord. In Jesus's name. Amen

Stay tuned for Part 3.

Comments

Popular Posts