Strength in Joy

For the umpteenth time that day, I ran the baby at arms length to the bathroom. He stood like a big boy at the toilet-me positioning his head toward the bowl to catch the torrential escapade, him taking the oppurtunity to go toilet bowl fishing.

Does he not know what his body is doing? I think.

Later on, another trip to the bathroom, him, again at arms length, laughs with his legs kicking with glee. I, on the other hand ( or should I say the other end of my hands), am trying to evade the poo-splosion, which has already laid claim to my fourth set of sheets ( as a matter of fact we have been sleeping sheetless for 2 nights because I can not keep up with the laundry....)

I place him in the tub and strip him down. Water on. He bangs happily on the rim of the tub.  Rinse. Soap. Rinse. Check. Out you go.

Mmmmm, you smell so clean. Mmmmm, so cute in your towel. I love you my handsome man, I love you, my pudding cup. Tickle, tickle, tickle....
 Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute- what happened to poo, and puke, and laundry mountains, and did I mention explosions of poo?

Well what I did not mention was during the bath, the feeling of thankfulness that I felt. I was genuinely thankful for the strength to the task. I was genuinely grateful for the willingness to do the task. I was thankful for God's grace in the abillity to perform the work. God is good.
This is more than just reciting a scripture over yourself when you face  an undesirable situation. It is more than just repeating half-heartedly what you want so badly to believe about the fruit of the Spirit, and the character of the Lord.
Giving thanks in all things is more than just a thankfulness of the lips. It is a thankfulness that flows from the heart. There is a surrender to a peace in knowing that the one who can control it all, orders your every moment. This is what you are thankful for. The all-knowing Father, orchestrates the events in your life. All of it is preparation for your role in the kingdom. God and the devil both watch to see how we respond to the momentous happenings in our lives.
Am I asking you to be fake? No.
God wants you to find the joy and peace in knowing he knows you and knows what is best for you. He wants you to be able to look beyond the "right now" and see the moment through his eyes.
Think of the grace that is sufficient and the strength of his that is made perfect in our weakness.

But let that verse be more than words that bounce off.
If you feel like the word of God is hitting a wall and not geting to where you want in your heart, or not affecting your mind the way you want- remember that it must be mixed with faith,
"...but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it."- Hebrews 4:2
Let this build your faith also - that the Word of God is sharp and powerful.
"So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."- Isaiah 55:11
So whether you "feel" it or not, the Word is doing its job. Your job is to believe it and receive it.
When you shift your focus from the moment to finding the joy in the moment- you will be strengthened to the task ahead. And finding the joy in one mment, will propel you to see the joy in the next.
As long as we are in this body, we will still fall, and wrestle, but we joy in his grace- and that joy is once again, our strength.

 

Comments

Popular Posts