Cleaning House

from whatsavesme.wordpress.com


There was bit of soap build up behind the bathroom sink faucet where the soap had been sitting for too long. For days I noticed it, and told myself why wipe it when the soap is going to go in the same spot and make the same filmy residue...so maybe later

image from web
Now there I was today, scrubbing away at  soap that could have been easily wiped up on day one, and just as easily, with one swipe, on day 2. Nope, I preferred the elbow grease way obviously. Not to mention the baseboards that hadn't been touched in- well never mind that. Just know that it was the same conclusion- I definitely burned more calories than necessary just to get the grime off.

More than a half hour later I stepped back to admire the sparkling white bathroom, along with it's clean smell. Then it happened- a light bulb moment. 
You know what self? If you would do daily maintenance as recommended, you wouldn't need to grimace and grunt when trying to restore the bathroom to beyond just-usable status.

I knew this for a fact, because part of my work outside the home involves a bit of cleaning. There are multiple shifts cleaning the same spaces throughout the day on a daily basis. Cleaning there becomes more about going through the paces, rather than actually cleaning anything. Everything is already pretty much clean.

However, even though it looks clean I still sweep with gusto, in case something invisible becomes visible. And you know what? Sometimes after I go over the clean looking floor, a tiny pile of dust is formed. Hmm- even when it's visibly clean, there's always something to pick up. I can barely see anything in the restrooms at work, but I disinfect and wipe like no tomorrow, and mop with fervor- (it keeps my arms and core toned).  And I notice that if I skip a day or two of , say, wiping out the refrigerator, I can tell. The build up is slow, but it's there none the less.

I realized it's the same with our hearts.

We may think all looks clean, but a good spiritual sweeping with the Word is always in good order. Just going a day without cleaning house leaves us open to buildup and excessive dust ( did you catch that? We're made from the...oh never mind). In other words if we neglect the sustaining and maintaining power of prayer and the Word, we have excessive flesh build-up ( you're getting a bit dusty over there...) Just a little carnality spoils the perfume of the Holy Spirit in us.
Take it from me- grunt and grimace or wash and be at rest? Your choice.
I suggest, you examine and clean house-
every day.

 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.- 1 Corinthians 15:31

For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.- 2 Corinthians 4:16



Blessings, 
Chantel

Comments

Popular Posts