The Leaping Benefits

Exhilarating!
Yes, I am using that word- and for good reason. I have thirteen steps  in my home,  and I just ascended and descended them over ten times. I feel so good! My heart is pumping, my breathing is heightened. My head is free and clear of the glums. It really works!
It all started out with some jumping jacks.

I sat down after, and Luke 6:23a came to mind;
"Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven."

Now growing up we always kind of read this like you leap to get joy. In this verse it is saying that we leap because of joy, but in this case the former approach was in mind.




Leaping or jumping brings joy. Really.

 

Exercise has been touted to do everything from treat depression to improve memory, with the power to cure a host of problems while preventing even more. In particular, exercise leads to the release of certain neurotransmitters in the brain that alleviate pain, both physical and mental. Additionally, it is one of the few ways scientists have found to generate new neurons. Much of the research done in this area has focused on running, but all types of aerobic exercise provide benefits. Although the exact nature of these benefits is still being determined, enough research has been done to provide even skeptics with a motivation to take up exercise. Exercise exerts its effects on the brain through several mechanisms, including neurogenesis, mood enhancement, and endorphin release.    Read more at http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/nuro/neuro05/web2/mmcgovern.html
Also:
Jumping exercises provide three substantial main benefits to your body. First, jumping acts as a cardiovascular exercise, meaning it increases your heart and respiratory rate, leading to calorie burning and weight loss. Jumping exercise also strengthens the muscles of your legs, especially the calf muscles, along with others like the hamstrings and quadriceps. Finally, jumping exercises help develop stronger bones, especially in developing children.Read more:http://www.livestrong.com/article/416063-jumping-up-down-as-aerobic-exercise/#ixzz2MWj2V8Vt
And ok, I admit, I was in the skeptics camp. It's not that I don't like exercise,I am just not that into it. And by not that into it, I just never formally did it. I did do high school athletics, and ride bikes, and walk quite a lot when I was younger. But now, I touted myself -carrying up to 30 lbs a day in little people, going from floor to floor, running after a toddler so he doesn't play in the toilet water for the fifth time in an hour - as getting enough exercise.
Yet, here I am and my back is in pain like no other, my posture needs some definite improvement,  and my brain is in the fuzzies more than I'd like.

So after browsing around on the web and reading all this inspiring quotes and things about exercise, and talking to my exercise guru friend about my back. I made an attempt to actually do something.

I jumped and down. I did some jumping jacks and some stretches, I felt so good.

So go ahead and leap for joy.
To get it, and because of it- Both ways.



Comments

Popular Posts