The service and the gift


And Hilkiah, and they that the king had appointed, went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvath, the son of Hasrah, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college:) and they spake to her to that effect. 2 Chronicles 34:22

Meet Huldah.. In just one verse we are introduced to her by various "hats" that she wears simultaneously each day:
1. Prophetess
2. Wife
3. keeper of the wardrobe*


There are two things that caught my attention- one I did not notice until now as I listed her roles she plays.

The role of Prophetess links her to God. This is first. The role of wife links her to her family. This is second.  I believe it is not mere coincidence that the scripture lists these roles in the order that it did.

*Side note: I'll admit, I originally read the verse as attributing to Huldah the role of "keeper of the wardrobe. this was number three on my list, which I have since scratched after reading the verse a few times over. Still interesting that if this were so, this would be third, putting service to the house of God after family. (Also the reason why I alluded to washing the robes so much below in the post- but I digress : )


The second thing I notice is this. Her service as a wife does not take away from God's desire or ability to use her as a prophetess. 

It is easy to get caught up in titles, and think because God uses me in a certain arena I can not possibly be expected to "wash the robes". 

On the other hand, one can get so caught up in the earthly ministry of washing robes or being a wife and mother, that they feel they are not worthy to be used by God in a spiritually impacting way. 

Both of these schools of thought are far from the truth. God wants to use us. In order to use us we must be humble, meekly surrendered to his will and not our own. 
We must be available. It is not him using our power and abilities. Rather, it is God exercising His power through us. 

We do not have to fear being unworthy or unequipped. 
Neither should we think for a second that anything God does through us has anything to do with what we bring to the table.

God wants us not just as gifted, or as servers. He wants us to be gifted servers, serving God to serve his people.


"and those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor...that there should be no schism in the body..." 1 Corinthians 12:24-25


Comments

Popular Posts