Just like a child

Daddy and Baby J
Daddy's truck pulled into the driveway. They could all see the front end through the window from the basement. I heard all the "Daddy's here" exclamations, so I went outside. I'd sent him for a quick run to the store to pick up a few things on the way home from work, and ran out to help carry them in. What a sight as I got to the door and through the glass was a little face excitedly pressed up against the glass. The eyes were wide with anticipation. "Z, open the door for mommy, baby." He looked past me grinning, watching. Daddy reached the front door and the eyes gleamed. Literally. 

I can't remember how we got through the doorway with the the 3 year old pressed against it, but as soon as the door cracked open, the jumping and squeals began. And Oh! there was the baby right behind him, yelling with delight- "Daaaaa! Da-Da!", over and over. It was a loud reception. Daddy was home.

Later that night when daddy left the room, J was not happy. He went into a heartbroken cry and, like a scene from a  Oscar-worthy drama held onto the foot board of the bed, reaching toward the door for his dad. Really, J? Really?

The next day as I prepared to spend some time with the Lord, I gathered my thoughts. I began as normal: A deep breath in, and a relaxing breath out- I get to be with my Father for a set time; then, "Father, I thank you..." I thanked the Lord for all that came to my heart to thank him for, but then the memory of yesterday came.  I felt like the Lord was asking me, how would I be toward him if I was just like that. Just like a child.

Good question, God.

 I then imagined being before Him like a little child. How would I feel?  Without worries, happy, no care in the world. Just me and my dad. What would I see or hear? He's smiling. He laughs. My carefree joy is his delight. What would I do? In response to this I began smile, to dance and lift my hands toward Him. I began to jump up and down and tell Him how much I love Him. I felt light and free. It was the joy of the Lord. I felt him smiling. I want to remember that.

 He takes pleasure in us. Psalm 149:4, Psalm 147:11.  I can come to Him just like a child- excited for his presence and agonized at the thought of not having him right there. Like a child I can just trust, and not be afraid. Like a child I can believe what he says, and treat it like the words of a God- for that's what He is. Like a child I can share with him my fears, my accomplishments, my likes, dislikes, joys and frustrations. Like a child I can be real, and not fear losing his love. That is real freedom. Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty. This is something liberating about being a child. Our Father invites us to that freedom in Him.




 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.Luke 18:17


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts